Tuesday 5 October 2010

Sewing Machine Nostalgia


One half of us here at Helter Skelter Kids has been muddling through on some rather old equipment of late.  Me.  So this past Saturday, I finally found a chance to leave the family at home and give my full attention to the matter of sewing machine shopping.  My new machine was delivered today, but I've become a bit sentimental about the one I'm putting back on the shelf.

Elna Lotus ZZ
Many moons ago, when I complained to my mother how nice it would be to have a sewing machine at hand to take up hems and whip up cushion covers, she kindly bought me an Elna Lotus ZZ.  Its a funky little number with sides that fold down and a lovely tan hue.    Produced between 1968 and 1977, it is roughly the same vintage as me (along with some of our dress patterns).  It has a aluminium handle and when it is all folded up, it may well pass for a handbag.  You can't say that about many modern appliances, can you?

Style aside, it has been a real trouper of a sewing machine.  I've expected it to sew more volume than it was probably ever designed to and as long as I take it for a regular service and kept the lint out of its innards, it kept on going.  

Sadly for the Lotus ZZ (which stands for zig zag, one of "4 practical stitches" it can create) it isn't up to the task of producing large quantities of sewn goods and so an upgrade has been organised.  Don't feel sad for it though, because after another service it will stand ready and waiting to stitch as my reserve machine.  The Lotus is a long way from broken and still has a long life ahead of it.  It will be the perfect machine to start my children sewing, should either of them show an interest, as it is beautifully simple and all its functions are easy to understand.

Lets not forget that this is a sewing machine produced by the masters of machinery - the Swiss.  In recent years, Elna has been bought out by a Japanese competitor and although I have every respect for Japanese manufacturing (my new model is made there) I'm also nostalgic for a time when Europe manufactured excellent machinery.  Indeed, I puff up with pride and announce "It's Swiss made!" whenever anyone inquires about it.  Alas, manufacturing goods like these in Europe has become cost prohibitive.  My salesman on Saturday assured me that if my new machine has been manufactured in Switzerland, it would have cost six times the price.

Elna Lotus ZZ, I salute you!  You have served me well to this point.  Helter Skelter Kids has benefited from your diligent stitching and for that we are grateful.

xx
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment